Tuesday, October 11, 2011

interior inspiration

Remember when I mentioned that Mark and I were looking to buy a house and get married and go on a honeymoon? Well, we are officially married, had a crazy honeymoon and now own our first home together! We're in the process of really putting our stamp on it {fun before-and-afters coming soon!}, but marrying our two styles is tough. We're obsessively watching HGTV and searching for projects and advice on DIY websites.

A few nights ago, while watching House Hunters International - a personal favorite - a commercial for Ethan Allen popped up. I remember Ethan Allen being the store full of the stuffy classic furniture that fills my parents sitting room {you know, the sofas you don't actually sit on but once a year}, but things have changed. I checked out their website, took a fun Signature style quiz and found some great inspiration.


~romance~
PS: I made Mark take the quiz, too. Not surprisingly, his style is modern. Mine is a mix between romance and vintage - I took it a couple of times.

~modern for mark~

~vintage~

~elegance~

~explorer~


Which is your favorite style? And how do you mix up two styles to create one seamless look?







4 comments:

  1. I love the first photo...very simple and slightly french. Such great photos!

    I stumbled upon your blog and thought I would say hello! I just started up a new blog that is all about COLOR.

    Come on over and become a follower to enter the upcoming giveaways!

    xoxox
    Aarean

    http://colorissue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aarean! Thanks for stopping by! I love the first look, too. There's something about that lavender-grey color that I find so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I hope this isn't weird but I play hockey with Mark and read your blog when he posted about your honeymoon turmoil and I really like reading your posts! It's a great blog!

    Anyway: I think I lean towards the modern style but one of the things I learned from HGTV (I'm obsessed too!) is never, ever buy all of the pieces for one space at the same store. I think it's great advice!

    It can be so easy, especially when you go to store and all the great ideas are in one spot. I recently split my oddly shaped living room in half with a large, room divider bookcase from Ikea. I wanted to create a reading/office area so I paired the modern looking Ikea bookshelf with an antique style desk and chair I got for next to nothing from Craigslist,an inexpensive circular mirror, a small leather chair from Ikea, and a tiny side table I got from Target. By forcing myself to look at different stores and not put all the same style furniture together, I created a look I really love - even though my first instinct was to one-stop shop at Ikea.

    I really think you can work the styles you present in the first and second pictures in the same room, which will make it more interesting and personal.

    It's clear you have great taste so I'll be interested to see how your space turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jill! I'm so glad you like my blog! We'll have to have the whole team over when we're done. And I love your advice about mixing it up - so smart.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...